More work on the Bomb Bay hydraulics, the Garret and some electrical gremlins to track down kept us busy this weekend…
The forward bomb bay jack was refitted and during a systems demo was found to have a leak.. After fitting a o ring and all appears well.
The Garret trailer was cut down to size (hence removing a possible seating station for the operator!)
Two further aircraft batteries were approved for storage and cycling and we opened the hatch to the H2S scanner as it hadn’t been opened in a while… (and we wanted to check no volunteers had been left in there…)
The nose wheel steering jack was also removed to allow the replacement of an o ring and so we can service the rest of the jack.. Not many pics this weekend, so apologies
A pretty productive day on Saturday… The umbilical behind the Nav Radar seat received some attention first thing and we had a number of visitors to have a look around.
The number one port capacitance belts were removed and rigged up so we could soak them to see if we could obtain further, hopefully better, readings.
The Garret airstart unit received quite a bit of attention too.
The bomb bay hydraulics were also worked on to try and alleviate the leak(s)
Fingers crossed we see better results from the belts this weekend…
Another weekend of tank work amongst other things! Following the inconsistent readings from the capacitance belts, the decision was taken to remove some and test.. First of all, this involved a dry test on a bench which was still inconclusive so the decision was taken to soak one in fuel for a week to test its reading then…
The water pump was also fitted back to the Sentinel tug and that’s one step closer to seeing her back on the taxiway!
Elsewhere, work started on identifying and curing a leak in the bomb bay door hydraulics..
Plenty to keep us occupied!
We also used the refuelling ground power supply connector which had been opened around the middle of last year.
Being the first weekend of the month, we made sure the ground equipment was exercised…
The Houchin, Palouste, Hydraulic rig and generators were all started and run and the Coleman had a little exercise along the taxiway..
More work was carried out on the fuel tanks including making sure the cables were properly in place and capacitance belt tests.. Unfortunately the belt tests were not what we were expecting or looking for so further investigation will be required on that front.
Gaskets were also being made and prepared for the fuel tanks including the ones for the pump plates, no easy task!
There was also time for a little “dressing up”!
Pictures are courtesy of Isi, James, Matt and Lou
First of all, we would like to wish all our members, visitors and supporters a very happy New Year!
The last couple of weekends have been quiet visit wise but this has given us chance to focus on the number one tanks. A fair amount has now been achieved with this and all being well the finish line is in sight!
We found an easier way to refit the vent pipes (as this had caused a bit of a headache!) and despite a small issue with the fixing points on the aft of the tank and cavity, these are now in place.
Both tanks now have the vent pipes, capacitance strips, wiring and float switches in place and all that is left to do is tighten the retaining nuts to the correct tension.
With this now having been done, it gave some of the volunteers who hadn’t been involved in the refitting to poke their heads up into the port tank (as this is easier to access!) to see what it looks like (the overall opinion seemed to be “dark!!”)
Some work was also carried out on the umbilical for the Nav Plotter position and we were treated to a nice visit from P51 “Tall in the Saddle”.
One of our volunteers has refurbished the tachometer from the Palouste as this had suffered from water ingress and had stuck. This was refitted to the Palouste, it was fired up and tested and the results were nearly perfect.
Pictures are by Matt, Isi, James and Tim
XM655 and all her volunteers would like to wish a very Merry Christmas to all our members, supporters and visitors.. Thank you for all your support
Well last Saturday was cold, wet, windy, cold, windy and wet…
That didn’t stop us getting on with a few jobs though… Tank work continued but was unfortunately hampered by the cold.. It made the tanks less flexible… The weather also kept away visitors…
But despite the awful conditions, spirits were high (ours, not the alcoholic variety) and in the afternoon we were able to run the aapp which hadn’t had a run in a while… Fired first time!
Pictures are from Isi and James
A lot more tank work on Saturday as we concentrate on trying to complete the job soon. The port tank is now being furnished with work starting on fitting the vent pipes.
Continue reading 8th December 2018
Saturday, a number of our volunteers were at the pan but despite a couple of walk in visitors to show around the aircraft, thoughts were on the Christmas meal…
Continue reading 1st December 2018
Another busy weekend with tank work!
Continue reading 24th November 2018